Pages

Monday, January 18, 2016

Overcoming the Wave

This project is for my art and history class called If These Walls Could Talk. The purpose of this project was to give life to the new school space by creating murals that will then be installed throughout the new space. I learned a ton about different mediums and a lot of different techniques that I definitely see myself using in the future. I am very proud of the way our mural turned out and I am happy that we could all work as a team to get this done. Please feel free to watch the video of the whole process and read my artist statement below!!





Name: BKJ
Title: Overcoming the wave
Measurements: 4- 88” by 112”
Media & Techniques: Acrylic paint, paper, wheat paste
A group of me and 4 of my classmates. planned out and produced a mural that will go into the new school space.

We used acrylic paint and spray paint on paper to create the imagery. Eventually, we will wheatpaste the painted panels of paper onto the wall in the new school space. Since our painting was mainly a wave we used a lot of different shades of blue such as dark blue to almost white because we had to differentiate the wave from the sky.We also wanted to differentiate the top or foam of the wave from the rest of the water which we did by using a very light blue. For the boat, we mostly used gold and brown spray paint so that it would really stand out from the blue of the water. This emphasizes the power and importance of GCE. I feel that it will transform the new space because it is right in the entryway so it is one of the first things you see when you walk it. Also I feel like it is a perfect spot since our mural is about GCE.

I was mainly painting and sketching and I did some spray painting along the way. My favorite role was spray painting the boat. I was good at that part because I am a graffiti artist and I am very experienced with spray paint. My least favorite role had to be sketching because we had to do the same sketch about 4 times on normal paper and 1 HUGE sketch and it was very repetitive and boring. If I could change 1 thing about the whole process I would make it possible to paint on the actual wall instead of paper. I feel like our mural looks good when it is not on the wall but I do not know what it is going to look like when it is wheat pasted up. I think it would look a lot better if we painted straight on the wall instead of what we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment