Pages

Friday, March 6, 2015

REMZ GUITAR


This project is all about sound and the different elements of sound. We linked that to guitars as a way to show the different elements of sound. We ended up making our own guitars out of various objects and tested the frequency, volume, amplitude etc. I made my guitar out of a small found box, a very long toilet paper tube, 2 pieces of wood for the bridge, and 2 pieces of wire for the strings and held it all together with hot glue and duct tape. I learned a lot this unit such as the difference between AM and FM and how radios work and how the sound is transmitted. I also learned about frequency, amplitude, volume, wavelength and how to calculate them. One of the things i'm proud of is my actual guitar, Initially I thought my guitar would be bad because its homemade and i'm not a professional guitar maker but i'm actually happy with the outcome.

BKJ, GUITAR (2015)

My guitar makes sound by plucking the string which causes vibrations to bounce around the inside of the sound hole which then reflects outward and produces a certain pitch and volume. In this unit we learned about frequency which is basically the pitch of the sound, a higher frequency is also a higher pitch and a lower frequency is a lower pitch. my guitar sounds more along the lines of a lower pitch which means that it has low frequency. We also learned about amplitude and that is basically the volume of the sound. The strings on my guitar are not very tight or strong so they produce a low volume sound which means that the amplitude would be very low.


The Doppler effect is sound waves being pushed together as an object moves forward and left behind as the object moves forward. My guitar does not demonstrate the Doppler effect unless I am moving while playing the guitar otherwise the sound waves are being distributed equally.

One thing that may effect the sound the guitar strings make is the length and thickness so for the purposes of this project we were asked to calculate the string length and the string thickness my string is 17.5 inches long and .36mm thick. We were also asked to calculate the volume of the guitar body and I found that my guitar body was 63.98 inches cubed. lastly we were asked to calculate the frequency and the wavelength and I found that my frequency is: A# 466.16 Hz and the wavelength is: 74.01 cm. The frequency of my octave is: 932.32 Hz and my wavelength is: 37.005 cm.

BKJ, ACTUAL GUITAR (2015)
If I could do it all over again I would probably take more time at home to build so I can use a bigger box and also I would use wood for the neck instead of a cardboard tube. I would also probably use real guitar strings because I have seen that they produce better sound after seeing other classmates projects. If I had extra time at the end I would probably paint the guitar because it looks very plain since its all the same color


No comments:

Post a Comment