Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Rethink Trespassing

This action project is for my 2 action project of my argument class. In this project we were asked to choose one rule in the code of conduct to reinvent and make it our own and write a argument based on your opinion. I learned a lot about how arguments can be formally organized and how you can make a concrete argument. I am proud of my paper and i would like to see my rule passed and actually incorporated in the GCE code of conduct. Please read my argument and leave a comment and tell me if you think that my rule should be passed. Thank you and ENJOY!


The specific rule I’d like to amend in the GCE Code of Conduct is the one about trespassing that states: “Students, patrons, and school personnel are expected to have appropriate authorization to be on school property.” although this rule is short is is very clear and to the point. No matter how short and to the point this rule it it does not change the fact that this rule is very unjust because the GCE staff does not enforce it properly and they are very biased as to who they let in. For example, alumni are allowed back into the school to play basketball and they let some students friends come in to play basketball. But when I tried to bring one of my friends in for the same reason, all of a sudden the staff decided to enforce the rule and tell him that he cannot come in because it would be a liability if he got hurt. When I asked why the rule was being applied in this case, staff told me they couldn't cover my friend if he injured himself and when asked why they were applying this rule now instead of when other outsiders came in and they did not answer me they basically just told me "that's just how it is, it not our property so we can not be responsible for someone that does not go to our school." The way GCE staff selectively applies this rule is clearly biased, just like a landlord banning pets from his apartment building but has a dog.

I can type paragraphs about how this argument is unjust and biased but, this rule written as a formal argument would look like this...
P1: GCE’s campus is actually owned by the Menomonee club.
P2: Visitors and school personnel need appropriate authorization to enter GCE’s campus.
C: A visitor with incorrect authorization will be asked to leave the premises.

This rule is obviously flawed and according to the staff/ code of conduct it must be enforced "properly" and must not be broken but I feel that the rule should not apply for after school clubs that involve sports or activities such as volleyball or basketball, especially if it is not a team sport, but played for fun because it will make it more interesting if there are more people, anyways. Also, since GCE wants more people to know about and see the school why not have outsiders come in and play sports or talk with friends at GCE and see how the school is.

In my opinion I feel that my way of approaching trespassing is superior and should be put into affect in the future. As a way to break down my reasoning I have created a formal argument below.
P1: GCE wants to generate more interest in our school.
P2: Current students may know potential GCE recruits.
P3: Current students should be allowed to bring visitors to campus.
C: If you are visiting GCE “through” a current student, then you are not trespassing

I feel like life at GCE will be better because you will have more people interested in coming to GCE and we will end up having more kids due to the students bringing their friends in. Also, we will give other students a better sense or other students life by seeing the people they hang out with. Also, it would make clubs more interesting because outsiders will be able to come and spice up the games or activities that we do. Not only will it make our school better but it also helps us become global citizens and that is one of GCE's goals. I feel that my amendment demonstrates true citizenship because GCE as it is now is basically a bubble. We come to school and see/talk to the same 43 people that we see everyday. And, I feel that that my amendment will give us a better sense of the real world because you will always meet new people in the world not see the same people everyday. Therefore, I feel that it will build up your people skills because you will meet and talk to new people all the time. I did not want my amendment to be only my opinion so i went and asked a fellow student what they though of my redesigned rule on trespassing and they told me "I agree that it is reasonable because since our school aims to further educational and social life as one, we should be allowed to bring in people who could work and benefit with whatever we are doing after school."(JM)

Lastly i would like to present you with three facts to support my amendment and if you are reading this blog please leave a comment and tell me whether or not my rule is better than the original one

  1. the original rule is biased because they would let other students friends and alumni in but when i tried to bring my friend they all of the sudden wanted to enforce the rule  
  2. GCE wants more people to know about GCE and more people to understand what GCE is trying to do so if outsiders come in then they will most likely learn more about GCE
  3. GCE loves to promote the idea of diversity in school and outside of school so by letting outsiders come in you are learning about them and the different parts of Chicago they come from




No comments:

Post a Comment