Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Amazing Hood Orchid

This project is for my science and art class called Bioneers. The purpose of this project was to pick a plant to research and write what we could learn from it or build something that could mimic the function or structure of the plant. In this unit we went to a conservatory and looked at a bunch of plants and I decided to study the hood orchid (Pterostylis). I learned a lot about the hood orchid while researching it and I also got to see it up close and to see all the unique features.

The process of this action project was first I had to research my plant and find out 5 interesting facts about that plant. Next I had to think of what I could learn from this plant such as finding shelter with few resources to work with. I learned about shelter because that is one of the most unique things about the plant; because it has a leaf behind the flower which acts as a hood for protection and trapping flies and other small insects. Three things I think we can learn from the plant is use what you have as shelter I think that one explains itself. Another is patience because the plant cannot just get up and get what it needs it has to wait for it. The last thing I think we can learn from this plant is to adapt because when it rains the plant adapts to using its leaf as a hood.

When I was asked to apply this to a human design I instantly thought of a hoodie. I designed a hoodie with a rubbery outside to keep the rain off and a soft inside to keep you warm throughout the year. In the pocket of the hoodie it has a built in reusable bottle that connects to the strings in the hoodie that you can drink out of. It also has a long hood that automatically activates when hit by a raindrop. a scarf built into the side pulls around the face protecting it from strong winds and rain. Most people would say that my idea is a rain coat, In some ways it is but my design is mimicking the genius design of the Hood Orchid. Most rain coats are very thin and need a layer under it but my design can be used by itself because it has a thick and fluffy inside. My design looks like a normal hoodie when it is warm outside but when it rains it converts itself into a very stylish coat. In addition most rain coats are made out of plastic mine is made of rubber which is much more durable and can be kept for many years. Please see my illustrations below to better understand my design. ENJOY!





 
 
Citations
 
D.L Jones. "Petrostylis." Wikipedia, Feb 26 2013. Web. Nov 19 2013
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment