Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

Streetart Advocate

My name is BKJ and I'm taking the class Five Faces of Genius. For our third action project we had to do a service project that served or affected at least 10 people. In planning my service project, I used the Five Faces of Genius. I used my seer skills by visualizing what my installation is going to look like and what my sticker are going to look like. Also I had to visualize how I was going to incorporate human rights and use it in my art so i can get my message out. I used my observer skills by planning for the project and paying attention to the details of how my project is going to work and how I can do it effectively. I used my alchemist skills by combining my love of art and specifically street art with a world problem. I used my fool traits by turning the normal way of doing street art on its head and using it to put out a message that matters instead of a name. I used my sage traits by simplifying my designs so I can get the message out but still look good. Below is a video I created that documents what I did for my service project.


This project was something that I actually care about because I have always felt a sense of unfairness between humans. I feel that we are all human beings and should all be treated equally even if we are different skin tones or different genders. Some people say that god created racism and inequality but that is not true, we were all created the same and we as humans chose to make racism and inequality by thinking one person is better than another. When I first started the project I thought, "What can an average street artist do to contribute to fighting for human rights?" Then I got the idea to just use my talent to put out a message not just a name or image. I decided to make stickers and an installation so I can put them up in the streets for the public to see. With other events like speeches or closed events only a select amount of people go and you have to be interested to even want to go, but with my idea anyone can see it while walking down the street. You don’t have to buy a ticket or travel to see my installation and stickers all you have to do is see one on the street and thats all you have to do to make your own meaning out of the project. What I like about art is that it’s up for interpretation. Art has no set meaning unless you state it but most people create their own meaning when they see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment