Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Pinhole Camera


This course was all about light and sound and how those two things affect our daily lives. in this unit we studied light and how affects us and also how a camera is almost exactly like our eyes. In this unit we made a camera out of found materials and had to develop a picture using that camera using light and photo paper. In this unit i learned how to make a pinhole camera and how we can make a photo out of a pinhole camera and a little bit of light exposure. I also learned how a camera is so much like a human eye and how they function the same way to create images. The one thing that I am proud of is my photography because I like how it turned out. I really liked the shapes I used and how it all worked together to make a nice picture
BKJ, pinhole cam (2015)
Light rays from the sun travel through a lens made out of a square of aluminum and a small hole poked in it with a pin. The light ray then continue to travel until it hit the back of the box where the photo-sensitive paper is placed. The photo-sensitive paper reacts to the light bouncing off of the objects and then creates a picture, so that when you place it in the developing chemicals it will produce an image of whatever was placed in front of the pinhole.

This process illustrates that light is a particle because i bounces off of an object and then is sent through the pinhole and transfers to the photo-sensitive paper. I also behaves like a wave because when two light rays come in contact they simply pass through each other. If it was a particle it would bounce off of each other but it does not. Refraction is when a light ray transfers from one surface to another and the direction of the light is changes slightly and slowed down. My camera does not show refraction because the light does not change surfaces it just passes through the lens.

it's about 11.5 inches across from my lens to the photo paper. My object is about 11.25 inches tall. It's about 5 inches from my pinhole to the bottom of the camera, so if i created similar triangles my equation would be 5 / 11.5 = 11.25 / Y, where Y is the distance between the back of my camera and the front of my object.
BKJ Similar Triangles (2015)
When taking the picture we were told to set up our objects and then open the shutter. My shutter was open for about 4 minutes. After that 4 minutes i then closed my shutter and brought the camera to the dark room, where i then opened my camera and took out the photo paper and ran it through all the chemicals until it developed a picture. Unfortunately my picture did not turn out as expected but we did get to make a photo gram which is basically where you put photo paper under glass and then put objects on top and expose it to light and whatever parts of the paper did get hit with light will turn black and the parts that didn't will stay white. I hope you enjoy my photo and my photo gram below.

BKJ, Photo (2015)
BKJ, Photo Gram (2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment