Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Our City My View

This Action Project is for my first unit of the P'art of History class. For this project we looks a neoclassical art and what the elements are. Then we wrote a story or poem that explains what we think lays claim to our Chicago and make a image that explains your story/poem. I learn so much about the elements of neoclassical art and also how many art pieces in Chicago have elements of neoclassical art in them. I am very proud of the linoleum cut that I made because I was never very good at making linoleum cuts and I think that is came out good and also displayed what my story was talking about perfectly!




Title: Art rules Chicago
Medium: Soft cut linoleum
Size: 6x6
Date of completion: 7/2/2014
 

Graffiti..
I think that graffiti lays claim to Chicago and also lays claim to people that do and enjoy the art. Graffiti is a way to express your self, to show your voice in a world that has shut you out. Graffiti is just an idea that is not only trapped in your mind but it is put in the public for everyone to see and that's why I think people hate it because they say you should express your voice but when you do they don’t listen. I feel that graffiti is for the brave and the people that want to get known. that's what its all about, getting up in the streets and get recognized by everyone even if the recognition isn't always good.
 

I feel that my visual represents my story perfectly because in the linoleum I depict a piece of graffiti very large and the city small in the background to show how important I think graffiti is in Chicago. I also add minor details to spice up the piece because even though the piece is simple it is very clean and has a certain beauty to it and that is the same way I think of Chicago. The mouth is the most important element in the piece to me because, I state in my story "Graffiti is a way to express your self, to show your voice in a world that has shut you out" and I put the mouth to symbolize that graffiti itself can speak to the public. Graffiti doesn't literally speak to the public but every time a person sees a piece of graffiti thoughts start to circulate through their mind and they even might relate the piece to a memory or feeling. Even if the impact isn't always good, graffiti has an impact on each and every one of us even if we don't realize it and that's why I did that piece in the linoleum

When creating my linoleum cut  I first had to sketch my design on a piece of paper and shade in the parts that I wanted to pop out. Next I had to place the design on the soft cut linoleum and rub it until the design transfers from the paper to the linoleum. Next I had to take a carving tool and carve all the parts that were shaded in. then, finally I had to touch it up and make sure it is perfect and ready for making prints
  • sketch my design on a piece of paper
  • shade in the parts of the design you want to be cut very dark with a pencil
  • place the piece of paper face down on the linoleum cut and rub off the pencil marks until you can clearly see them on the linoleum
  • outline one more time so you have a clear image of what you are cutting
  • cut very carefully. remember anything you cut in will pop out on the mold. also be carefull not to go too deep when cutting or else you will tear through.
  • do finishing touches! make sure everything is exactly how you want it and there are no extra pieces that you forgot to cut.
Neoclassical art is imagery that is simple, symmetrical, have clean lines and it may depict a heroic figure or be emotionless. I believe that my art piece hits each of these points. The lines in my piece are clean and symmetrical. I believe that the "heroic figure" in the piece is graffiti itself because it is my hero. Graffiti has made my life better and gives me the drive I need to follow my passion. The only point I think my piece didn't hit is emotionless because I think that my piece has a ton of emotion even though it is simple. One example is the mouth, I feel the mouth is a very important and symbolic part of my piece.

I can relate my story to Jacques Marquette because he traveled to Chicago to convert the American Indians to Christianity and spread his message of religion and that is what I think graffiti writers try to do. I feel that graffiti writers try to spread their name and message and try to make people believe in graffiti and accept it. I could also relate my story to the British and the native Americans because I feel that the native Americans were like graffiti writers and the British were like the government. I feel I can relate the Native Americans to the graffiti writers because they were very outspoken and had no voice. And the British were like the government because they were very powerful and kind of like dictators

     
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment